Illusions (also commonly called illus) are imperfect, weaker copies of heroes, created by spells or items. They look like and are mostly treated like a hero, but are impaired, as they usually have incoming and outgoing damage penalties, dealing less damage and taking more damage than heroes. They are mostly incapable of casting spells or using active item abilities and also have some passive abilities disabled. They also may not drop or pick up items or runes For the runes that come with cosmetic items, see Inscribed Gem. Main Changelogs Runes are special boosters that spawn on the game map. They come in two categories. Bounty Runes can . Illusions yield a little gold and experience based on the hero`s level. They do not soak up any AoE experience Main Changelogs “ Play I grow stronger! Click to listen— Storm Spirit ” Experience allows heroes to level up, which makes them stronger and allows them to learn new abilities. Experience is earned and gold “ Play Now that s how you make gold. Click to listen— Alchemist ” Gold is the currency used to buy items or instantly revive your hero. Gold can be earned from killing heroes, creeps, or buildings. Contents (they cannot level up, and the gold from last hits they make goes to their owners) and do not interfere with kill streaks or counters.
Illusions can be created from an allied, enemy, or the own hero, copying its appearance, level, attributes, attack values, defensive values like base armor and base magic resistance and their abilities on their current level. All items owned by the hero are copied as well, including all their stats (although some effects of abilities and items are disabled for illusions).
All illusions deal 60% less damage against buildings Buildings are special units that are immune to most spells, use structure armor, and are immobile. Destroying a building rewards you with a bounty, similar to most creeps or heroes. Destroying towers rewards the entire , making them weaker in pushing. This reduction stacks multiplicatively with the outgoing damage reduction which most illusions have, and also multiplicatively with the damage reduction hero damage Attack damage is the amount of damage a unit is dealing with an unmodified basic attack; the base values are different for every hero. The total attack damage of a unit is the sum of does against structure armor Armor is an attribute shared by all units. Armor is used to determine the amount of damage reduction (or amplification if an armor value is negative) a unit takes from physical damage sources. Higher armor type. Be that as it may, due to the fact that illusions are based on heroes, their damage scales together with the heroes, making them still a significant pushing tool, especially in later phases of a match.
All illusions are invulnerable Default buff iconPlay Error soundInvulnerability is a status effect that renders the target completely immune to all status effects and damage, except for most damage flagged as @@@#@@@HP(hp.com)###@### Removal. Most friendly effects, such as healing for one server tick (0.03 seconds) as they spawn. It does not matter which ability spawns them, this goes for all of them. Illusions also always play the same birth sound (which is only audible to allies) upon spawning, and the same death sound upon dying in any way, including upon expiring.
All illusions have an extra texture layer, which makes them distinguishable from the original hero. There are 5 different types of textures which can be seen below.
To allies, illusions always appear with the texture layer, making them always look different than the original hero. For enemies, illusions which use the blue or the yellow textures appear like the original hero, making it difficult to tell them apart from the real hero. Illusions with the second or third texture appear like illusions to the enemy, meaning enemies do see their illusion textures. Be that as it may, despite this, the portrait of illusions always appears like the original hero to the enemy.
Illusions do not show damage numbers.
Besides their skin and portrait, their health bar also differs based on whether the illusion is allied or not. Allied illusions have the same health bar as creeps. This also means their mana bar is not visible, as it is only visible when having a hero or creep-hero health bar. Besides this, illusions also have a circle on the left side of the health bar, which indicates their duration.
Enemy illusions use a hero health bar to not make it obvious that they are illusions. They also display the player`s or hero`s name above them like regular enemy heroes (if the player has the name display toggled on player name or hero name). The player name is based on the owner of the illusion, not of the hero the illusion is based on. This means when an enemy Shadow Demon creates illusions of allies, the illusions carry Shadow Demon`s player name. The only exception to this is Morphling`s Replicate Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs Morphling 19 + 2.3 24 + 3.7 17 + , which displays the targeted allied hero`s name, unless he targets an enemy, in which case it displays Morphling`s player name. When hero names are chosen, instead of player names, it shows the name of the hero the illusion is based on, and not the owner`s hero.
Illusions creating abilities
These are all abilities which create illusions of heroes:
- Chaos Knight Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Chaos Knight 22 + 3.2 14 + 2.1 16 + 1.2 Level - Phantasm
- Dark Seer Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Dark Seer 22 + 2.6 12 + 1.2 23 + 2.7 Level - Wall of Replica
- Manta Style Item Old Abilities Changelogs Manta Style An axe made of reflective materials that causes confusion amongst enemy ranks. Cost5000 (900) Bought FromArmor Active Mirror Image Bonus +10 Strength+26 Agility+10 Intelligence+15 - Mirror ImageNumber of Illusions: 2
Melee/Ranged Illusion Damage Dealt: 33%/28%
Melee/Ranged Illusion Damage Taken: 350%/400%
Creates illusions of the caster. Illusions` and caster`s positions are shuffled upon creation.
- Morphling Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs Morphling 19 + 2.3 24 + 3.7 17 + - HybridNumber of Illusions: 1
Illusion Damage Dealt: 50%
Illusion Damage Taken: 100%
Creates an illusion of the targeted ally. Cannot target heroes and illusions under the caster`s control. Unlike other illusions, the Hybrid`s attributes are based on Morphling`s, not on the target`s. Hybrid illusions may cast abilities (except for ultimates, Aghanim`s Scepter granted spells, and items).
- Morphling Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs Morphling 19 + 2.3 24 + 3.7 17 + - ReplicateNumber of Illusions: 1
Illusion Damage Dealt: 80% ( 130%)
Illusion Damage Taken: 100%
Creates an illusion of the targeted ally or enemy. Cannot target heroes and illusions under the caster`s control. When targeting allies, the name display copies the ally`s name, instead of the caster`s.
- Naga Siren For the race in Dota 2 lore, see Naga. Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs - Mirror Image
- Phantom Lancer Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Phantom Lancer 21 + 2 29 + 2.6 21 + 2 Level - DoppelgangerNumber of Illusions: 2
First/Second Illusion Damage Dealt: 0%/20%
First/Second Illusion Damage Taken: 100%/600%
Creates illusions of the caster. Illusions and caster appear at a random location within the targeted area.
- Phantom Lancer Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Phantom Lancer 21 + 2 29 + 2.6 21 + 2 Level - JuxtaposeMax Number of Illusions: 6/8/10
Illusion Damage Dealt: 16%
Illusion Damage Taken: 500%
Duration (from Hero/Illusion): 8/4
Has a 40%/45%/50% chance to create an illusion of the hero upon attacking. Illusions of the hero have an 8% chance.
- Phantom Lancer Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Phantom Lancer 21 + 2 29 + 2.6 21 + 2 Level - Spirit LanceNumber of Illusions: 1
Illusion Damage Dealt: 20%
Illusion Damage Taken: 400%
Creates an illusion of the caster at the target, if the projectile successfully hits the target.
- Illusion Rune Double Damage Haste Illusion Invisibility Regeneration Bounty Arcane See more: Runes#List Illusion Play AbilityNo Target AffectsSelf Conjures 2 illusions of your hero which deal 35% damage. - IllusionNumber of Illusions: 2
Illusion Damage Dealt: 35%
Melee/Ranged Illusion Damage Taken: 200%/300%
Creates illusions of the user.
- Shadow Demon Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs Shadow Demon 19 + 2.2 18 + 2.2 23 - DisruptionNumber of Illusions: 2
Illusion Damage Dealt: 30%/45%/60%/75%
Illusion Damage Taken: 300%
Creates illusions of the targeted ally or enemy. Can target self. Illusions` and hero`s positions are not shuffled.
- Spectre Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs Spectre 19 + 2.3 23 + 1.8 16 + - HauntNumber of Illusions per Enemy: 1
Illusion Damage Dealt: 30%
Illusion Damage Taken: 200%
Creates illusions of the caster next to enemy heroes for each enemy hero on the map. Haunt illusions cannot be controlled and do nothing but attack their assigned hero.
- Terrorblade Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Terrorblade 15 + 1.7 22 + 3.2 19 + 1.75 Level Base - Conjure ImageNumber of Illusions: 1
Illusion Damage Dealt: 30%/40%/50%/60%
Illusion Damage Taken: 400%
Creates an illusion of the caster.
- Terrorblade Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Terrorblade 15 + 1.7 22 + 3.2 19 + 1.75 Level Base - ReflectionNumber of Illusions per Enemy: 1
Illusion Damage Dealt: 40%/60%/80%/100%
Illusion Damage Taken: 0%
Creates an illusion of each enemy hero within range on cast. Reflection illusions cannot be controlled and do nothing but attack their assigned target. Reflection illusions are invulnerable Default buff iconPlay Error soundInvulnerability is a status effect that renders the target completely immune to all status effects and damage, except for most damage flagged as HPTechnology company Removal. Most friendly effects, such as healing .
- Vengeful Spirit Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Vengeful Spirit 18 + 2.9 27 + 3.3 13 + 1.5 Level - Nether Swap
All 3 attributes of illusions ( strength Strength is the attribute that grants health and health regeneration. For each point of strength a hero gets: 20 Health 0.06 Health regeneration Additionally, strength heroes also get 1 attack damage per strength point. To , agility Agility is the attribute that grants armor and attack speed. For each point of agility a hero gets: 0.14 (1/7) Armor 1 Attack speed Additionally, agility heroes also get 1 attack damage per agility point. and intelligence Intelligence is the attribute that grants mana, mana regeneration and spell damage amplification. For each point of intelligence a hero gets: 11 Mana 0.04 Mana regeneration 0.07% Spell damage Additionally, intelligence heroes also get 1 ) are based on the original hero. They copy their base attributes, the attributes gained from levels, and all item bonuses. They fully benefit from every trait of attributes, health, health regen, mana, mana regen, armor, attack speed, and attack damage. They also copy the hero`s movement speed, main attack damage, attack animation (and projectile speed), base attack time, attack range, base magic resistance, main armor, base health and mana regen, vision, collision size and turn rate. An illusion`s stats, level, ability levels and items are all set upon spawn and do not adapt to the original hero.
Besides copying all the base stats of heroes, these bonus stats (from items or passive abilities) are also copied:
- Attack range Attack range is the range at which a hero may perform his or her basic attack on another unit. There are two main subdivisions of attacks: melee and ranged. Attack range can be extended by
- Attack speed The frequency with which units attack is measured in attack speed. A unit s attack speed can be modified by items, agility, abilities, and auras. Contents 1 Base attack time 2 Attack speed representation 3 Attack
- Attributes For a list of heroes sorted by attributes, see Table of hero attributes. Attributes Old Abilities Attributes are the main statistics of all heroes that independently determine most scaling statistics. These
- Base attack time The frequency with which units attack is measured in attack speed. A unit s attack speed can be modified by items, agility, abilities, and auras. Contents 1 Base attack time 2 Attack speed representation 3 Attack
- Movement speed
- Spell damage amplification
These bonus stats are not copied and thus do not work for illusions (although some of them are displayed in the HUD still):
And at long last, these bonus stats are inconsistent; some sources work, some do not:
Magic resistance reductions are inconsistent with illusions. They either do, or do not affect them. Be that as it may, in the HUD, magic resistance is always displayed as if they were fully affected.
Magic resistance increasing effects do not affect illusions at all. Only reducing effects are inconsistent.
The 100% magic resistance granted by any source of spell immunity and from Fate`s Edict fully works for illusions.
Magical damage barriers fully work for illusions.
These abilities do reduce the magic resistance of illusions:
These abilities do not reduce the magic resistance of illusions:
Illusions have a gold and experience bounty equal to their level times 2.
The following table shows their bounties on each level:
The following illusions grant 5 gold and experience, regardless of their level:
- Juxtapose (created by Phantom Lancer and from illusions)
- Spirit Lance
- Wall of Replica
The following illusions do not grant any bounty:
- Nether Swap
Copying buffs or debuffs
Usually when an illusion spawns, it does not copy the buffs and debuffs the original hero has. There are some exceptions with buffs though. Be that as it may, they do copy toggle statuses of items and of some abilities.
The following buffs are copied by illusions:
- Alchemist – Chemical Rage
- Alchemist – Aghanim`s Scepter Synth1
- Armlet of Mordiggian – Unholy Strength2
- Dragon Knight – Elder Dragon Form
- Lone Druid – True Form
- Lycan – Shapeshift3
- Medusa – Split Shot
- Morphling Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs Morphling 19 + 2.3 24 + 3.7 17 + – Morph
- Troll Warlord – Berserker`s Rage
- Undying – Flesh Golem
1 Although an infused Scepter`s buff is copied, the attributes, health and mana bonuses are not. Only the upgrade effects are applied.
2 The Armlet buff gets copied and applies all its effects (as according to the stats section details), except for the health loss.
3 The wolf form is copied, but the aura is not, so once Lycan returns to his default form, the Shapeshifted illusions no longer move at max speed and no longer crit.
These attack modifiers fully work for illusions:
- Anti-Mage – Mana Break
- Battle Fury – Quell1
- Brewmaster – Drunken Brawler Critical Strike
- Broodmother – Incapacitating Bite
- Broodmother – Insatiable Hunger
- Chaos Knight Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Chaos Knight 22 + 3.2 14 + 2.1 16 + 1.2 Level – Chaos Strike
- Crystalys – Critical Strike
- Daedalus – Critical Strike
- Diffusal Blade – Manabreak2
- Dragon Knight – Elder Dragon Form3
- Drow Ranger – Marksmanship1
- Juggernaut – Blade Dance
- Legion Commander – Moment of Courage
- Luna – Moon Glaive
- Lycan – Shapeshift Critical Strike
- Medusa – Split Shot1
- Meepo – Geostrike
- Monkey King Bar – True Strike
- Orb of Venom – Poison Attack
- Phantom Assassin – Coup de Grace
- Phantom Lancer Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Phantom Lancer 21 + 2 29 + 2.6 21 + 2 Level – Juxtapose
- Sniper – Take Aim
- Spectre Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs Spectre 19 + 2.3 23 + 1.8 16 + – Desolate
- Templar Assassin – Psi Blades
- Venomancer – Poison Sting
- Wraith King – Mortal Strike
1 Battlefury`s Quell is the only attack damage bonus which fully works for illusions. The reductions of Split Shot and Marksmanship are the only reductions which affect illusions.
2 Diffusal Blade burns less mana for illusions than for real heroes.
3 All 3 modifiers of Elder Dragon Form work for illusions, be that as it may, the poison debuff placed by illusions deals no damage, the slow debuff doesn`t actually slow target (though the speed on the HUD is decreased).
These attack modifiers do not work for illusions:
- Abaddon – Curse of Avernus1
- Abyssal Blade – Bash
- Battle Fury – Cleave2
- Blight Stone – Lesser Corruption
- Bounty Hunter – Jinada
- Desolator – Corruption2
- Echo Sabre – Echo Strike
- Eye of Skadi – Cold Attack2
- Faceless Void – Time Lock
- Heaven`s Halberd – Lesser Maim
- Iron Talon – Quell
- Javelin – Pierce
- Kunkka – Tidebringer2 3
- Lich – Freezing Slow2
- Lifestealer – Feast
- Maelstrom – Chain Lightning
Passive abilities illusions can use
- Most hero and item passive abilities
- Auras that the original hero has, with the exception of some effects
- Critical Strike (the red number is before the illusion reduction however)
- Diffusal Blade`s Manabreak
- Movement Speed bonus
- Attack Speed bonus
- Attribute Bonus (Strength, Agility, and Intelligence)
- Movement Speed bonuses from Yasha, Sange and Yasha and Manta Style
- Health or Mana
- Radiance`s Burn (does not stack with other Radiance auras)
- Attack range changes
- Damage Block (Vanguard, Poor Man`s Shield, etc)
Passive abilities illusions cannot use
- Raw Damage or Armor or increase
- Health or Mana regeneration, including Lifesteal (regardless of what the animation may show)
- Most Unique Attack Modifiers
- Bash, including Monkey King Bar (regardless of what the animation may show)
- Magic Resistance from abilities, from base Magic Resistance, and from items (Cloak, Glimmer Cape, Hood of Defiance, or Pipe of Insight)
- Greater Maim from Sange and Yasha and Lesser Maim from Sange and Heaven`s Halberd
- Greevil`s Greed from Alchemist
|Hero||Ability||Illusions||Duration||Damage Taken||Damage Dealt|
|Phantom Lancer||Spirit Lance||1||2 / 4 / 6 / 8||400%||20%|
|Juxtapose||5 / 7 / 9 maximum illusions||8 when created by Phantom Lancer |
4 when created by his illusions
|Dark Seer||Wall of Replica||1 per enemy hero||45 maximum |
(Illusions last as long as the wall does)
|400%||60% / 75% / 90% |
100% / 120% / 140% (Aghanim`s Scepter)
|Morphling||Replicate||1||30 / 45 / 60||100%||80%|
|Shadow Demon||Disruption||2||8 / 10 / 12 / 14||200%||30% / 45% / 60% / 75%|
|Spectre||Haunt||1 per enemy hero||5 / 6 / 7||200%||30%|
|Terrorblade||Reflection||1 per enemy hero||2.5 / 3.5 / 4.5 / 5.5||N/A||40% / 60% / 80% / 100%|
|Conjure Image||1||34||400%||30% / 40% / 50% / 60%|
|Vengeful Spirit||Nether Swap (Aghanim`s Scepter)||1||Until Hero Respawns||150%||50%|
|Item||Ability||Illusions||Duration||Damage Taken||Damage Dealt|
|Rune of Illusion||Illusion||2||75||200% (Melee Illusion) |
300% (Ranged Illusion)
Mirror Image type illusions are created at the caster`s location and are mixed up with the hero so that enemies will not know which is which. These skills also provide a short period of invulnerability and dispel most debuffs.
|Hero||Ability||Illusions||Duration||Damage Taken||Damage Dealt|
|Chaos Knight||Phantasm||1 / 2 / 3 |
50% chance bonus illusion
|Phantom Lancer||Doppelganger||2||8||100% (Illusion 1) |
600% (Illusion 2)
|0% (Illusion 1) |
20% (Illusion 2)
|Naga Siren||Mirror Image||3||30||600% / 500% / 400% / 300%||25% / 30% / 35% / 40%|
|Item||Ability||Illusions||Duration||Damage Taken||Damage Dealt|
|Manta Style||Mirror Image||2||20||350% (Melee Illusion) |
400% (Ranged Illusion)
|33% (Melee Illusion) |
28% (Ranged Illusion)