- Mei`s placeholder name during development was Frostbite.
- Early concepts for Mei were revised as they were too close to Zarya Zarya "Together we are strong." Real Name Aleksandra Zaryanova Age 28 Nationality Russian Occupation Soldier Base Krasnoyarsk Front, Russia Affiliation Russian Defense ForcesVolskaya Industries Voice Dolya Gavanski (English) Alexia Lunel (French)Maddalena Vadacca (Italian)Mitsuki Saiga (Japanese)Fernanda .
- The name Mei translates to "beautiful" in Chinese, her native language.
- One of her sprays reveals her drone`s name to be Snowball Snowball as seen in Mei s reference kit. Snowball is a weather-modification drone and the companion of Mei. It is the device by which Mei is able to use her ultimate ability, Blizzard. It is a .
- Mei`s biological age, 31, does not include her time spent in cryostasis. Her chronological age is roughly 40.
- In Heroes of the Storm Heroes of the Storm logo Heroes of the Storm is a MOBA/ARTS game developed by Blizzard Entertainment. It contains characters across the breadth of its games, Overwatch included. Contents 1 Overwatch Elements 1.1 Creeps 1.2 , an image of Mei appears on the shoulderpad of Rexxar when using his Raider skin.
- Voiced by Zhang Yu
Mei⃢₀ₙs weather-altering devices slow opponents and protect locations. Her Endothermic Blaster unleashes damaging icicles and frost streams, and she can Cryo-Freeze herself to guard against counterattacks, or obstruct the opposing team`s movements with an Ice Wall.
Mei is a scientist who has taken the fight to preserve the environment into her own hands. She specializes in the study of abnormal climate phenomena and their effects on different ecosystems around the world. She strongly believes in preserving the world for future generations.
Mei is a Defense Each hero fills a different role in Overwatch. Roles in Overwatch are loosely defined, and heroes can fulfill a role not designated for them. Roles, as they exist, are designed to help players identify which hero See playable characters. For the animated short, see Hero. All of the heroes, as of 2015 There are currently 24 playable hero characters in Overwatch. Each fits into one of four roles in Overwatch See the in-game organization. For the article about the game, see Overwatch. "Conflict. As the world teetered on the brink of anarchy, a new hope arose. An elite international taskforce charged with .
Mei is a strong fighter who excels in 1-on-1 fights. Her freezing effect from Endothermic Blaster will let her win over most heroes. Icicle deals heavy damage when used correctly, making her a threat at both short and long ranges. Ice Wall can be used to trap or distract the enemy, as it can completely block the enemy`s vision, or split some of the enemies from the others. Mei`s Cyro-Freeze creates thick ice around herself, restoring her health and rendering her invulnerable, allowing her to play like semi-tank. Blizzard is a very strong Ultimate, able to turn the tide of battle when used correctly. Not being a true tank, Mei can still be outdamaged and killed easily. Her primary fire deals little damage and needs to land several hits to fully freeze the target. Meanwhile, the Icicle has a quick damage falloff even though it is a projectile, making her less effective at long range. Due to lacking of killing power and mobility, playing her well is challenging.
Weapons & Abilities
- Endothermic Blaster Mei "Our world is worth fighting for." Real Name Mei-Ling Zhou (周美灵) Age 31 (biological) 1]approx. 40 (chronological) 2] Nationality Chinese Occupation Climatologist, Adventurer Base Xi’an, China (formerly) Affiliation Overwatch (formerly) Voice Elise Zhang (English) : Mei`s primary weapon. The primary fire, when held down, launches a beam that will deal continuous damage on the enemy. Affected targets will gradually move slower until completely frozen for 1.5 seconds after taking 30 shots. The secondary fire will launch an icicle-projectile on a linear trajectory, consuming more ammo than primary fire but dealing heavy damage. Icicle has a short cast time, during which Mei`s movement speed is slowed.
- The Endothermic Blaster`s two firing modes make a simple combo. Freeze the target with primary fire at close-range, then launch an Icicle at the frozen enemy`s head. This combo will kill most non-tank heroes.
- The primary fire deals little damage per second compared to other stream-type weapons. Sticking to Icicle is a better option to deal damage.
- The primary fire of Mei`s weapon has travel time, meaning that she has to lead the target when firing on a moving enemy.
- The first hit will create an initial slowing effect on the enemy, which is useful to slow a mobile hero.
- The slowing effect only influences standard movement speed, not movement abilities. Enemies like Genji, Junkrat, or Pharah will be able to quickly escape Mei`s attack unless their movement ability is on cooldown.
- Icicle-projectile is the only projectile that suffers from damage falloff at medium to long range; combined with casting delay, this means she has to predict the enemy`s movement more seriously than other projectile-heroes.
- Cryo-Freeze: Mei`s personal defensive ability. She will create a thick ice coating around herself which makes her invulnerable, but immobile for 4 seconds. She will ignore most debuffs and recover health while the skill is active (150 total if the full duration is used), and the ice will disappear after the end of the duration. Mei can manually cancel this ability early.
- Cooldown triggers after the Cyro-Freeze ends.
- Mei acts as an obstacle during Cyro-Freeze, which can prevent some abilities from going through her to affect her allies, such as Reinhardt`s Earth Shatter, Roadhog`s Hook or D.Va`s Self-Destruct.
- Instead of using the full duration, it can be useful to use Cryo-Freeze in a short burst to avoid damage (like from D.Va`s self-destruct) and then cancel it. It`s also useful to cancel Cryo-Freeze early if you want to only heal a small amount of damage and start your cooldown timer or rejoin a fight as soon as possible.
- Combined with Ice Wall, good timing can allow Mei to survive in many situations, even when outnumbered.
- Ice Wall Mei "Our world is worth fighting for." Real Name Mei-Ling Zhou (周美灵) Age 31 (biological) 1]approx. 40 (chronological) 2] Nationality Chinese Occupation Climatologist, Adventurer Base Xi’an, China (formerly) Affiliation Overwatch (formerly) Voice Elise Zhang (English) : When activated, Mei will create a wall of five ice pillars at the targeted location. By re-pressing the ability button, she can switch the wall`s orientation between side-to-side and front-to-back. The wall will be generated upon pressing normal attack, becoming an obstructing object which can block all line of sight for allies and enemies alike. Ice Wall can be ended several ways; it can be destroyed by enemies or a moving payload, its duration can expire, and Mei can melt it herself with the ability button.
- Use Ice Wall with care, the downside is that it completely blocks both her allies and enemies. Beware of cutting your own allies off from support or retreat.
- Each pillar has its own health. While most heroes can fit between them when only 1 is destroyed, some (like Reinhardt or D.Va`s mech) are too big to fit.
- Mei cannot melt her Ice Wall while stunned.
- Blizzard Mei "Our world is worth fighting for." Real Name Mei-Ling Zhou (周美灵) Age 31 (biological) 1]approx. 40 (chronological) 2] Nationality Chinese Occupation Climatologist, Adventurer Base Xi’an, China (formerly) Affiliation Overwatch (formerly) Voice Elise Zhang (English) (Ultimate): Mei`s Ultimate Ultimate abilities (Commonly referred to by players as Ults ) are powerful abilities only available to a hero once their Ultimate Meter has filled. Progress towards an Ultimate persists through death. The Ultimate Meter fills by ability. Mei deploys her drone at the targeted point. The drone will travel toward the point as a slow projectile with a small arc. After the drone is on the ground, it will unleash the frostbite and wind in a wide area. The storm will deal some damage and slow the enemy`s movement speed. If the enemy lingers in the area for 2.5 seconds, they will become frozen solid for some time.
- As a projectile, Blizzard can be countered by D.Va`s Defense Matrix and Genji`s Deflect.
- The drone can go through an enemy`s Barrier.
- While the Blizzard has very large area, it doesn`t go through environment objects. It stills goes through the enemy`s obstructing abilities like Mei`s Ice Wall.
- The storm has a surprisingly high vertical area, so even heroes like Pharah will have trouble escaping vertically.
- Mei is a great fighter in 1-on-1 match-ups. Her Endothermic Blaster can freeze the enemy and finish it with Icicle-projectile. She can block the enemy`s attempt to escape by placing Ice Wall to block the escape route. Be that as it may, she has low killing power against groups of enemies since her Icicle has a cast time and damage falloff. When fighting in groups, try to single out and freeze one enemy and kill them quickly.
- If you are surrounded, a Cryo-Freeze and/or a well-placed Ice Wall can get you out of many sticky situations. Placing an ice wall beneath yourself allows you to quickly dodge an attack, or retreat to cover while the enemy navigates around the new obstacle.
- Icicle`s long cast time can make it difficult to hit moving opponents, though as a projectile, it can be used as suppressing fire against targets in cover.
- Mei`s Icicle projectile is a viable long range weapon, and can be used in combination with Ice Wall to disable or distract snipers. Keep in mind that Icicle is the only projectile that suffers from damage falloff at long range. Fights against heroes with accurate long-ranged attacks won`t be in her favor.
- Mei`s Ice Wall is her key ability. It can be dangerous to the enemy team when used correctly. It`s most effective when she communicates with her teammates before setting up her Ice Wall, as it can backfire on her team when used in the wrong time or place.
- Mei can use the Ice Wall to block off enemies from leaving spawn at the beginning of the game, giving some extra time to hold them away from objectives. It can also be used to split the enemy team in half, ideally allowing your team to fight two consecutive 6 versus 3 fights, rather than engage in a 6 versus 6.
- A well placed Ice Wall can be used to disable or block certain Ultimates, such as Reinhardt`s Earth Shatter, which will not contact the ground when Reinhardt is on top of the Ice Wall.
- Since Ice Wall and Cryo-Freeze`s cooldown timers start after the effect ends, Mei can shield herself with Cryo-Freeze to stay safe while Ice Wall`s timer counts down.
- Be ready to melt your Ice Wall if it becomes a disadvantage to your team.
- Mei can afford to be more aggressive than other defense heroes due to her higher hit points and defensive abilities. She excels at pushing payloads, since the payload can carry an ice wall with it.
- If Mei is guaranteed to die soon and only has Cryo-Freeze to defend herself, don`t use it. You`ll only give the enemy more Ultimate charge with those extra hitpoints, and delay your own respawn by a few seconds.
- Blizzard is a powerful Ultimate that can freeze enemies in very large area. Be that as it may, it needs 2.5 seconds to successfully freeze the enemy, which won`t be enough against enemies with good movement abilities or who are near the edge of the AoE. Try to combo with the ultimate from teammates such as Zarya`s Graviton Surge or Reinhardt`s Earth Shatter, so she can guarantee a successful freeze more easily. You can also use Ice Wall to block an enemy from escaping in one direction.
|⃢₀ₜ||A little bit about me: my name is Mei (yes, that Mei!), and I specialize in abnormal climate phenomena and their effects on different ecosystems around the world. I know that sounds really boring, but I`ll do my best to make it entertaining!||⃢₀|
|~ Mei in her journal|
Though many blamed the planet`s escalating, unexplained climate phenomena on the advent of new technologies, the rapidly growing omnic Omnics Omnics are artificially intelligent robots produced by omniums. 1] Contents 1 Background 1.1 History 2 Known Omnics 2.1 Types 3 References Background edit | edit source] Omnics are produced by omniums, automated robotics factories population, and drastically increased consumption of resources, the true cause remained unknown. To find a solution, Overwatch See the in-game organization. For the article about the game, see Overwatch. "Conflict. As the world teetered on the brink of anarchy, a new hope arose. An elite international taskforce charged with established a series of eco-Watchpoints at remote, critical locations worldwide.
Mei-Ling Zhou was a member of this multi-year initiative. A peerless climatologist, she had introduced cutting-edge innovations in the field of climate manipulation that protected at-risk areas in Asia and beyond. She was assigned to the program`s monitoring station at Watchpoint: Antarctica when disaster struck: a sudden, catastrophic polar storm battered the installation and cut it off from the outside world, leaving the facility damaged and the scientists stranded. As their supplies dwindled, they entered cryostasis in a last-ditch effort to survive until a rescue attempt could be made.
But that rescue never came. It was years later when the team`s cryogenics chamber was finally discovered. Mei, still in hibernation, was the only survivor. Physically, she hadn`t aged a day, but the world Mei awoke to had gone through considerable changes: Overwatch was no more, the serious climate issues had worsened, and none of the eco-watchpoints were in operation. Any clues that they had uncovered were lost.
Mei decided to continue her work on her own. Equipped with a portable version of her climate-manipulation technology, she traveled around the world, hoping to re-establish the eco-network and track down the causes of the threats to the planet`s ecosystem.
Note: The following events aren`t necessarily in chronological order.
At some point Mei rescued a nest of endangered arctic wildlife from a collapsing glacier using her technology. Her deeds were reported on by Olympia Shaw Olympia Shaw Status Active Occupation Journalist Affiliation Atlas News Olympia Shaw is a journalist for Atlas News, and an "expert" on the former Overwatch taskforce. 1] Story edit | edit source] Shaw grew up in .
|“||So I`m starting this journal. Honestly, I`m not sure who`s going to want to read this. It was the idea of my colleague, Winston. He thinks that people will find my "unique" perspective interesting. (We`ll see if he`s right!) At the very least, it`ll help me pass the time, and believe me, when you`re huddled in a shelter and it`s -20₰ C outside (brrrr!), you have a lot of time to kill. (And u96eau7403 isn`t the greatest conversationalist.)||„|
|~ Mei`s first journal entry|
At some point after this, Mei got in touch with Winston Winston "Imagination is the essence of discovery." Real Name Winston Age 29 Occupation Test subject (formerly)Scientist Adventurer Base Horizon Lunar Colony (formerly) Watchpoint: Gibraltar Affiliation Lucheng Interstellar (formerly) Overwatch Relations Harold Winston (father figure) Voice , who had issued a recall order for Overwatch agents. He gave her a journal, telling her that people would find her "unique" perspective interesting. She made her first journal entry and made it available to the public while in the Yukon near Mount Logan, while testing her new gear. She concluded that it was in working order (a step up from a few days ago, when she`d accidentally frozen her arm), and began studying the local wildlife. Six days later, she decided to head to Asia, to investigate the abandoned Overwatch stations there. Before doing so, she took a break by flying into Los Angeles Los Angeles is a sprawling city situated on the western coast of the United States. It is a "cultural melting pot." 1] Known Inhabitants edit | edit source] Gabriel Reyes References edit | edit source] to see Six-Gun Killer. Two days after that, she was in Asia, investigating a mountain ecosystem (possibly the Himalayas).
|⃢₀ₜ||White Christmas! Massive winter storm hits England!||⃢₀|
|~ Mei, in a television interview with Atlas News|
During the winter holiday season, Mei reported on a massive snowstorm that was hitting London on Atlas News Atlas News Type News network Standing Active Atlas News is a news network. Contents 1 History 1.1 Soldier: 76 1.2 Synaesthesia 1.3 Second Omnic Crisis 1.4 Overwatch Returned 1.5 The Sombra Collective 1.6 Efi Oladele .
|Block 1200 damage with a single use of Mei`s Ice Wall Mei "Our world is worth fighting for." Real Name Mei-Ling Zhou (周美灵) Age 31 (biological) 1]approx. 40 (chronological) 2] Nationality Chinese Occupation Climatologist, Adventurer Base Xi’an, China (formerly) Affiliation Overwatch (formerly) Voice Elise Zhang (English) in Quick or Competitive play.|
|Freeze 4 enemies at once with Mei in Quick or Competitive play.|
|Balance Patch History|
|Patch Version||Balance Changes|
|September 1, 2016 Patch|
|April 5, 2016 Patch|
|March 17, 2016 Patch|
|March 8, 2016 Patch|
|March 1, 2016 Patch|
|February 18, 2016 Patch|
|November 20, 2015 Patch|
|November 18, 2015 Patch|